|| español ||
Municipio of Camagüey
The municipio of Camagüey is one of the nine municipios in the province of Camagüey, Cuba. It is located to the center of the province, reaching its limits the north and south coasts of Cuba. This municipio covers a surface of 6,438 square kilometers, being the one with the largest territory in Cuba. It borders on the east with the municipios of Nuevitas y Guáimaro; to the south the Caribbean Sea and the Municipio of Santa Cruz del Sur; to the west with Esmeralda and Florida; to the north the Canal Viejo de las Bahamas.
Note: A “municipio” (plural: municipios) is the first political division of the provinces in Cuba. It is similar, in many ways, to the county or parish in which a state is divided in the United States.
|Municipio of Camagüey in Camagüey province|
Population: The population of this municipio in 1953 was 191,379 persons.
Population of the Municipio of Camagüey
Jurisdiction: In 1940 the Municipio of Camagüey was judicial district and fiscal zone.
Barrios: The “barrios” (singular: barrio) are similar to the electoral districts in which a county is divided in the United Sates.
The barrios of Camagüey in 1943 were: Primero, Segundo, Tercero, Cuarto, Quinto, Sexto, Séptimo, Octavo and Noveno in the urban zone of the city of Camagüey, the municipio's seat of government. This municipio also had the barrios of: Cascorro, Contramaestre, Ecuador, Fernando de Zayas, Ignacio Agramonte, Joaquín Agüero, Limones, Maraguán, Miguel Benavides, Minas, Paco Borrero, Sibanicú, Vista Hermosa and Yaba.
Cascorro: Includes the town of Cascorro.
Contramaestre: This barrio has also been called Javier de la Vega. Dista treinta y seis kilómetros de la cabecera del municipio. Includes the town of Contramaestre.
Ecuador: This barrio has also been called Rodolfo Parrado. It is located forty two kilometers from the city of Camagüey.
Fernando de Zayas: This barrio has also been called Pueblo Nuevo. It is located eight kilometers from the city of Camagüey.
Ignacio Agramonte: This barrio in colonial times was called Yegual. It is located thrity two kilometers from the city of Camagüey.
Joaquín Agüero: This barrio has also been called Caobillas. It is located twenty four kilometers from the city of Camagüey.
Limones: This barrio has also been called Tomás Betancourt. It is located twenty eight kilometers from the city of Camagüey.
Maraguán: This barrio has also been called Carlos J. Finlay. It is located twenty four kilometers from the city of Camagüey.
Miguel Benavides: This barrio has also been called La Gloria. Includes the town of Miguel Benavides.
Minas: It is located thirty kilometers from the city of Camagüey. Includes the town of Minas.
Paco Borrero: This barrio has also been called Altagracia. Includes the town of Paco Borrero.
Sibanicú: Had a population of 10,449 people in 1943.
Vista Hermosa: This barrio has also been called Gonzalo Aróstegui. It is located sixteen kilometers from the city of Camagüey. Was founded in 1912. Includes the town of Vista Hermosa.
Yaba: This barrio has also been called La Avellaneda. It is located twelve kilometers from the city of Camagüey.
Population of the barrios in the Municipio of Camagüey
|as per the Censuses of Cuba of 1943, 1931, 1919 and 1899|
| Fernando de Zayas - Pueblo Nuevo
| Ignacio Agramonte - Yegual
| Joaquín Agüero - Caobillas
| Miguel Benavides
||- - -|
| Paco Borrero - Altagracia
| Vista Hermosa
| San Gerónimo
|Santa Ana Church in Camagüey City|